HGV Maintenance – Horror Stories
Sadly the examples you see in the DVSA’s latest bulletin are all too commonplace and while most Operators will have a degree of confidence in the roadworthiness of their fleet it is obvious some either have no idea what a roadworthy vehicle is or , even worse, don’t care
There are a number of questions which every Operator should be asking themselves on a regular basis
- How effective is your maintenance regime ?
- how effective is your Vehicle Maintenance Contractor ?
- Are you confident Daily Checks and Periodic Inspections are being carried out to the required standard ?
There are a couple of simple equations in vehicle maintenance; –
- Faults found at MOT = Poor Periodic Inspection Regime
- Numerous faults at Inspection = Poor Daily Defect Check Regime
looking at the latest bulletin from the DVSA ‘Heavy Vehicle Horrors’ a few questions immediately spring to mind; –
- how have vehicles been allowed to get into this state ?
- why were they not picked up earlier in the maintenance programme ?
- How did they get on in the resulting DVSA visit/audit ? (because surely there was one)
In either case we can help improve your HGV maintenance systems and ensure you don’t become a ‘Horror Stories’ subject
Please Contact Us for more information or to arrange a site visit